Thursday, July 21, 2016

TaaT Toe-Up Socks

I seem to fall for just about any knitting pattern the ladies at Mason Dixon Knitting suggest. When Kay talked about linen dish towels, I bought a soft linen-cotton blend and made a towel. When they were having their Bang Out a Sweater KAL, I searched patterns and acquired the yarn for a Lopi Icelandic sweater - it's on the list. When blog readers call Ann and Kay yarn enablers, they are spot on.

So when Ann talked about hand knit socks and the beauty of self-patterning yarn, I jumped on that band wagon too! I'm a great lover of Fair Isle color work, but my skills aren't quite there yet, so the next best thing is Faux Fair Isle.

This is Regia Design Line by Arne and Carlos. I want knee-high socks, hence the two skeins. And in an attempt to make them appear more Fair Isle-ish, I'm going to use cream for the toes, heels and ribbing. It will also avoid the weird patterning that happens when you knit the heel flap with self-patterning yarn.


I decided to use a two at a time, toe-up pattern, in an effort to get the colors to line up. I also made sure the yarn from each skein was at the same place in the pattern when I cast on. I'd rather have my socks match, than have random stripes.


This TaaT pattern allows you to completely customize the fit as you make them, and you can try them on as you go. A win-win!

No comments: