Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Icelandic Sweater


Mom lives a couple blocks from a Goodwill store. We talked about going for a good browse, but time got away from us. On the last day of my visit, I stopped in for ten minutes on a walk to the drugstore. I didn't have enough time to do the store justice, but I ran my hand along the women's sweaters and this one jumped out at me.


It's handmade from what looks like traditional Lopi wool. It appeared to be brand new, never-been-worn. I couldn't believe it, and $4.99.

When I was checking out, the clerk was glazed over, bored perhaps. It was about 90 degrees that day and I quipped that I probably wouldn't be wearing this sweater any time soon. She murmured something and then actually looked at the sweater. "Wow!" When I told her it was 100% wool and handmade she actually seemed impressed.
 

It took up an amazing amount of space in my suitcase, but I didn't care. I feel I've found a treasure, one I would never find in Northern California where I live. When I got home, I gave it a luke-warm bath and the yarn softened and *bloomed* beautifully, validating my feeling that it was brand new, never-been-worn. I guess I've become something of an adoptive parent to orphaned wool sweaters.

No comments: