Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Radiant Nine Patch Redux


I've been working on a Radiant Nine Patch quilt for my son. It's not often that I make the same quilt twice, but this was his favorite childhood quilt.



Twenty years ago... interestingly enough, I still have many of the fabrics used in the original. I'm using my favorite speed piecing method to create the nine patch blocks; with a slight variation. For this quilt I need 'x' and 'o' blocks. I pair the A-B-A and the B-A-B units right sides together and cut apart in strips. Three cuts make one 'x' and one 'o' block each.



Some of the fabrics are remnants that need to be traditionally pieced because there isn't enough for the speed piecing method. I still want these fabrics in the quilt though.
 


This quilt gets its visual movement from the over-all layout. It's best to make low contrast nine patch blocks, something that looks odd at the block stage but not on the design wall.

January 20
January 30
February 5
February 12

I'm still making nine patches but I've run out of design wall. I need 306, I have 275. I completed the dark-darks yesterday and will start on the deep-darks next. I love the way it sparkles.

When I made this quilt the first time I didn't have a very big fabric collection. Now I have so much to choose from; I'm having fun mixing in new fabrics with the original fabrics. And I wasn't as seasoned a quilter then as I am now. It seemed like an *amazing* amount of sewing! When it was done I announced I would never make another one. So when I offered to redux my son's quilt he gently reminded me of what I'd said. Well... he's over six feet tall, he needs a bigger quilt. I'm happy to gift him in this way. And I'm having a blast (from the past) spending time with these fabrics. Quilt love...

1 comment:

Margie Adams said...

Good Morning from Cape Town South Africa - have just started my radiant 9-patch and was doing a google search and came across your blog. Choosing fabric is perplexing..but happy to see that you wrote "low-contrast, something that looks odd at the block stage.."seems my first 2 sets of blocks the 2 fabrics in each 9-patch look too similar to each other...viz not much contrast between the 2...seems I might be on the right path!