Sunday, December 02, 2012

Really Red


I've been having a blast with the red and white wall hanging for Christmas. I don't have a name for it yet, I just keep calling it "The Christmas Red and White. Not very inspired... Back in July when I started I had my doubts about the high contrast of the clear colors, but the more blocks I put on the design wall, the better I liked it. This is what my sewing room looked like this week.



 Leftovers cut for the strip drawers.



Pieced border units. I didn't strip piece the borders because I wanted to mix up the prints. I didn't actually count all the fabrics, but there are about 35-40 prints in this quilt. It's a wonderful scrapbook of thirty years of quilting. I enjoyed mixing the old and new prints in just the right amounts to balance the color.


Loved using red thread instead of the proverbial white.


  
Even the trash was a cheerful red and white. Once the blocks were pieced I tried different layouts. It's one thing to preview layouts in EQ, but even better with the actual blocks.



Off set centers



Straight set with white on the outside



Straight set with red on the outside. It was fun to see the different looks I could get with just 16 blocks.
 

Click to enlarge

2 comments:

Vic in NH said...

OMG! It's so beautiful and so scrappy! But Lordy, do use a Shout color Catcher or two whenever you wash it. Good job!

Fabricfaire said...

These are just fabulous! I really like the "off center" look. Only you could pull this together so fabulously!!!