Monday, May 24, 2010

Airport Security

I recently flew out of Logan airport in Boston. I had plenty of time to go through security and get to my gate so I wasn't worried. But I was surprised when the security officer took my carry-on off the table and said, "Step this way please m'am." He opened my bag and pulled out my posture pleaser and my therapeutic heat pack filled with rice.



Picture from the internet


"What are these?" "That's for posture correction and that's a heat pack for tired muscles." "We're not sure what these are, one moment while I check with my supervisor." I wasn't too worried... but it took several minutes for him to come back and say I was all clear. He was just doing his job and I thanked him for his help. I found out later that the 9-11 terrorists flew out of Logan so you can't blame him for being careful. Maybe the posture pleaser looked like a bomb I was going to strap to my chest. But do I look like a terrorist?? Do you remember this group from the late 80's?



Maybe it's not funny anymore.

1 comment:

Elaine Adair said...

No, not funny any more, but annoying for the rest of us, just wanting to get on with our lives.

I live in a very small rural town, western Nebraska, but we do have an airport (prop planes come in and out). Employees are my friends and neighbors. For some reason, every time I fly out of here, I am delayed by some kind of computer glitch -- no one will tell me why - I have a 'normal' anglo name, etc. I have visions of being on some kind of 'black list' ... no criminal activity, etc., and I always eventually get passed through to the plane that has stopped just to pick me up, no other passengers, but no explanations for the delays either. All very mysterious!