Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wash Day

Well I found out that 100% of the quilters that commented on my recent post about prewashing also prewash. We'll never know about those that didn't comment...

I recently went through the closets that hold my quilting stuff and pulled out a Warm and Natural bat that I'd bought some time ago. I love this bat, it's the one I choose over and over. But when I pulled it out of the plastic bag I couldn't believe how strongly it smelled of adhesive. Whoa. So I washed it too; set the water to cool, opened up the layers and placed it in the machine. It just sat there on top of the water, what the? I turned off the machine and submerged it by hand, it was almost water resistant, I pushed it down and it kept popping back up to the surface. Eventually I won and put it through a short, gentle cycle. I stopped the machine again, pulled the bat to the side and looked at the water. I didn't take a picture but it was cloudy and sorta thick.



I feel much better about using this bat now. Makes me wonder what they use in it.

1 comment:

Fabricfaire said...

Mmmm....does make you wonder if all batting s/b washed first. I have never read or been told to do so.