Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fat Quarter Wash Day

'Member this eye candy stack I received at my birthday bash? It was time to bring it into the family, time to prewash.

I like to submerge my new fabric one at a time in a tub of hot water in the kitchen sink. I get to know 'em... it's my first chance to be with them. But I also get to see which fabrics bleed or are fully set. This stack of Hoffmann fat quarters did really well till I got to the reds, they ran pink. Makes it worth the effort somehow.

Lookin' like colorful nappies on the line.

Now they're washed and folded on the shelf ready to use. I know a lot of quilters don't want to bother with this step, they want to get right down to it... but I've had more than a few heartbreaks in my quilting with bad bleeds. And this is the nicest laundry I do!

1 comment:

Fabricfaire said...

I love that kind of "wash-day". It does a " hands good" to fondle FQ!