Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Patching the Patches

I've been working on replacing the blown out fabrics on the bridal quilt. Once I took the back off it wasn't hard to 'reverse engineer' the patches.

Here's one section complete.

And here's the largest section mostly done. It hasn't been as tedious as I thought it was going to be. I'm also enjoying the memories of my early marriage that flow through my thoughts as I work. Breathing new life into the old. :cD

There's a noticable difference between the strength and stability of the new fabrics next to the old. If it was a customer's quilt I'd probably discourage them from trying to do what I'm doing. I'm reminded of the verse in the New Testament that advises against sewing new cloth onto old. But I plan on adding a fresh batt and machine quilting it along the seams to strengthen it. I guess I'm preserving memories as much as anything.

2 comments:

Rose Marie said...

That is quite the undertaking; but it will be worth it in the end. Will you quilt it or tie?

Sew Create It - Jane said...

A labour of love...and why not when it holds so many memories! I have to smile tho' the New Testament was written before all our super duper new batting and threads were made ;o) I'm sure it will be fine when it's done!