Friday, March 30, 2007

Free Fabric!

Last year Su and I were sitting with our Quilt Guild's Opportunity quilt, trying to sell tickets in the 100+ degree summer day. Business was slow when a woman and her husband came up all excited about our organization and asked if she could *give* me fabric for community relief quilting. Did I have to think about it?? I scrawled my name and phone number on the back of a snack box top and we parted ways, both happier for having found one another. She'd been part of a Katrina Quilt Relief project that had ended and she was looking for a home for the fabric that had been donated.

I was so surprised when she called last week. I'd forgotten all about it. We met on my lunch break the next day and she passed four copier paper boxes and a LARGE suitcase my way. I have spent *hours* going through the fabric, sorting out *bleechy* poly blend solids and pairing yards and yards of prints and calicos for community quick quilts. I love this sort of thing! Making do with some of the color combinations and getting really *jazzed* when there are pairs that look like they belong together.

Some of these chunks are 4 and 5 yards each! As you can see, this is only part of it. I hadn't dug into the two boxes in the foreground 'cause I was getting tired. *phew*


I can't wait to see the look on the Community Quilt Committee Chair's face when I present her with all this yardage! Wanna come over and sew baby quilts?

1 comment:

Finn said...

Hi Leslie, what a wonderful gift to the community and your quilt group!! I'd be happy to stop by and make baby quilts if I were close enough...*VBS* I'm sure lots of good quilts will come from those boxes. Hugs, Finn