Once I got a stack of four patches made, I decided to piece 54-40 or Fight blocks. Once I had a couple pieced, I made an EQ draft. Sometimes I wonder how I knew how to make my quilts before I had this software. It's such a great way to see the quilt before it's actually made, make design decisions and get the dimensions worked out. At first I thought I would make a Tennessee Waltz pattern, but that made it bigger than I wanted for a donation quilt.
52" x 52"
This is the pattern I decided on. Huh, it's not that much smaller.
40" x 51"
These are being sewn in between the split nine patches for Mendocino Blues and Greens.
Every year the Healdsburg Senior Retirement community hosts a quilt show throughout the building. It's a delightful event because the presentation is so creative. As you drive down the driveway to the parking area, the fence is draped with quilts. The admission fee is just 5.00. The entry way and main lobby have silent auction items, a vintage sewing and quilting notions display and a doll show. Each hallway is hung with quilts and includes lovely vignettes of handmade items featuring a variety of needlework.
This picture's from their website, because during the show, the halls are full of visitors.
The event also includes continental breakfast and a buffet lunch. Visitors are encouraged to bring old quilts to share. Julie Silber, quilt historian and author, displays each one and shares what she believes to be the quilt name, date and any other observable items of interest. Her talk is always interesting and informative.
This year I ran into a long-time quilt friend in the hall and found out she is the coordinator. Knowing what I do about Betty, it all made sense. She also told me the retirement home didn't make a profit on the event, but all money brought in was turned back to the quilters in the form of prize money. I found that heartwarming.
I'm still chipping away at my split nine patch blocks. I created a layout in EQ, so I now know I need 256 blocks for a queen-size. Eek! I decided to call it Mendocino Blues and Greens. Some times I struggle to name a quilt, other times it just comes.
Sometimes I like a project better when I'm just tinkering at it, rather than making blocks toward a total. At this point I have close to a hundred and seventy five. I keep 45+ on the design wall at a time so I can balance the colors and fabric placement. Some days it feels a little tedious. What to do? Start another project to mix it up a little! Wait a minute, didn't I start this one to break up the tedium of the Fruit Salad quilt?? The thing I've discovered about blogging, I start to notice my own habits.
I needed a new leader and ender project anyway so I decided to make four patches from my over-flowing 2" cut square box.
I don't have any ideas for them yet, but they're so satisfying, it helps me feel like I'm making headway on the BIG project.
It's been a long, wet winter and I've been suffering from cabin fever. The fact that we had four days of clear, warm weather in February didn't help. It was like a spring teaser. I wanted something to brighten my mood. So I started another quilt.
Many of these prints are from the Four Patch and Friends quilt I tried to make some time ago. I still love the rose and green combination, so I pulled more fabrics for the bargello. With this method you make strip sets.
Then you bring the last strip around to the first and sew it into a tube. After you've cut it into strips, you pick out one seam from each, off setting the color so after it's pieced, the color moves diagonally. See Bonnie Hunter's site for a better description.
Bordered and layered for quilting.
It was quick and fun. I'm usually pretty 'matchy-matchy', so letting the colors of the bargello be random was both a challenge and a lark.
I enjoyed learning Portuguese knitting while finishing this towel. I kept putting it down while I charged into other projects, so the fun of learning a new skill breathed life back into it. Anything to get it done!
I made it longer than the first one and like it better as a result. But this one is ramie/cotton, instead of linen/cotton. Maybe that's why it stretches sooo much when hanging on the towel bar. But it's soft and absorbent and nice to use, so I don't mind its wonky-ness.